My Artist table, 1-8-2012! Finally, clean enough to work off of and I am loving the space! (I know, “clean” is subjective ;3 )
1. In progress comic book commission work, done on 11 x 14 Bristol, the pad of which you can see beneath it. I love working with ultra-smooth Bristol, it is great for inking, especially for someone heavy handed like me, but still works well with my light box.
2. My coloring vice of choice, Copic Caoi Markers. I have two sets, “A” and “B”, each 72 markers (minus dried or lost casualties). Some have lasted me 4+ years (blues and purples mostly), others go dry within two weeks (skin tones, browns, and anything heavily used).
3. What kind of artist would I be without a Pencil sharpener for that pencil I can never find when I need it?!
4. In-progress sketch illustration of a toxic waste type sea siren. Ballpoint pen and sketch paper. It’s interesting to problem solve when an illustration takes a life of it’s own and grows unexpectedly longer than planned!
5. Collection of Work-for-hire, commission, entrepreneur and self employed artist books. Essential.
6. Blacks. Sometimes, you perpetuate artist stereotypes, sometimes you don’t.
7. Hamburger coupon!!!! STARVING ARTIST?? NOT HERE!!!
8. Ballpoint pen (my secret naughty love), microns in various sizes (I try to stick to 02,05,08 but then .005 is so nice for eyelashes and maybe 03 would be just slightly thicker and then suddenly all the pen sizes are in my hand). And oh, there’s that pencil!
9. A large package of cardstock and perforated business cards from high school. Sometimes I think about making little trading cards with the business cards.
10. “Cartooning”, by Ivan Brunetti. Given to our class as a gift, signed on the inside cover, well loved and dog-eared already. A great book on cartooning and storytelling, with a 15 week “syllabus” of assignments and practice ideas.
Well, there you go, my art desk As Is! Feel free to ask me any questions about any supplies you see, and don’t be fooled, there’s many more that you don’t see. Well, YET, at least ;)